Friday, July 28, 2006

The Eve Online 0.0 Experiment - Post 004 - Emilio Estevez

I have been greatly encouraged by all the useful words of advice and help from my new friends (and enemies) here. My journey has been very much bolstered by you all. Here's what happened next:

DAY THREE (CONT 2)

Due to the shocking fact that my basic miner had been mercilessly blown to smithereens earlier in the day, I decided to scour the local Venal market, in search of a replacement.

I discovered that there were two "Miner 1" modules up for sale, a mere 8 jumps away. I made the big decision to stake my claim on these items, as they may come in handy later on in my career. 25k each was 169% above the market average but being this far out in the middle of nowhere, it seemed like a good deal.



Upon leaving my new station in the venal region, I set course for a system far off into the abyss. I was enjoying my adventure so far, and had very much liked my conversation with Jackamo.

Unfortunately, our discussion had fizzled out after he had asked me if I knew what the "Band Of Brothers" was and I had replied: "Yes, I have seen the television series."

The next time I glanced at the chat box, he had left the conversation. Alas.......

Perhaps he had become resigned to the knowledge that I would probably not be joining his merry troupe of "Cursed Killers".

I made sure to set my standing with him to 5.0 (which is kind of like saying: "I like you, but I don't trust you") and I dutifully recorded a note to remind myself of him, should we ever meet again.

I set my destination to a station far off at the outer corner of the "Branch" region and began another heady flight into the unknown. It was late at night (or early in the morning, depending on how you look at it) and the skies were relatively empty.

I felt like an eagle, recently released from captivity, soaring high and far above the brave new world beneath me.

I swooped and climbed and rose higher and higher, gliding ever and ever closer to my target system.

Perhaps I was headed to Nirvana, to Eden, or to a hidden Utopia, kept secret from the world at large, for millennia and millennia, and only divulged to the neophytes who had been granted membership to the secret society that guarded it. Or perhaps I was about to get podded again......

A large number of jumps later, and after having passed a large number of people who had "D2 friendly" written in their bios, I had almost reached my destination and my map looked like this:



A quick search on google revealed that D2 was the title of a 1994 Ice Hockey movie starring Emilio Estevez. I was sure that this information would prove to be invaluable later on.......

A few minutes more and I had reached one of the outer corners of the universe. An astonishing achievement for a n00b, who only a short while earlier had launched himself out of Caldari space with nothing but a million isk, a shuttle and a keen sense of adventure.

I felt like a pioneer, like an explorer standing at the gateway to an unknown land filled with unimaginable riches.

The station was almost within sight and my miniscule shuttle eagerly sped its way to the docking ramp, until this happened:



I was apparently unliked by "Dusk And Dawn". I was not quite sure what I had done to offend them, seeing as we had never met, but nonetheless I had been barred from entering their citadel.

A quick search on google revealed that they were a 1996 vampire movie starring Harvel Keitel and George Clooney. Perhaps this was a 0.0 nosferatu factory. I was sure that this information would prove to be invaluable later on.........

(to be continued.......)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol that was so funny dude

8:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant m8, I'm still laughing :)

3:51 am  
Blogger The Sheriff said...

LOL..u cant dock 'cause its not an npc station...that can be changed though;)
Good Luck to ya!

Lou Cypher D2

12:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As one of the posters above so keenly noted, you can not dock because its not an NPC station. However, this in itself is not very useful. There are different types of stations in Eve. First your regular npc station that can not be taken and anyone can dock in. Second you have your conquerable stations that are out in 0.0 that player allaincces can control and fight over. This is one of the stations you encountered. These stations have standings associated to them, much like you set Jackamo to +5 earlier. The reason you could not is because you were not part of their group and did not have standings. The third group of stations are known as outpost which for about 30bil isk and lots of hauling can be BUILT by player groups, and work the same as the second station group.

4:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, a note on names. Google is not the best way to find information on things Eve related, especialy corp or allaince names (an allaince is a group of corps).
I suggest you use the people and places tab and search through the options till you can look for a corp or allaince name if you want info on them. Also not that Dusk and Dawn is the allaince in power in the area that you are roaming. Their allaince "ticker" is D2 and works much the same as stock market tickers work in real life. Its basic a short and fast way to denote the allaince or search for info on them.

5:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home