Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Eve Online 0.0 Experiment - Post 055 - War Party (Part 1)

War Party (Part 1)

As I sipped on my sparkling chianti with a hint of zesty lemon, I recalled that I had received several communications informing me of a vicious and crushing conflict that was taking place just 4 jumps south of empire space, in the heroic system 9UY4-H.

The system in question was owned by a group called "Ushra Khan", who I had been informed were "role-players" and were neutral towards all people who weren't Amarr...

Ushra Khan only owned one station in the game, and it was therefore very unfortunate for them that their home was being bitterly besieged.

They had enlisted the help of ISS, who I still needed to speak to about building a n00b haven in 0.0, and I had been informed that ISS were currently in 9UY4-H to help defend Ushra Khan from numerous rampant attackers of the most malicious order.

I also recalled that I owed a drink to a pilot who went by the name of "Smagd", and I had heard that he often frequented this particular station too. If I could just find a way to get to 9UY4-H with a designer beverage, I would be able to kill all three birds with one stone.


To my disappointment, every route I attempted to plot south from Heild involved a system of 0.5 security or higher.


Not wishing to go east into Great Wildlands and then south through Curse again, I decided to use my jump-clone in ASCN space for the very first time, and to pick up a bottle of their finest luxury Bollinger champagne while I was there, before then heading north to have a party with Smagd in the warzone, whilst learning from ISS about how to build a station...



A great sense of happiness overcame me once more, as I looked around to see my old friends in the love shack. Memories of those pleasant back-rubs and upper-class truffle hunt evenings came flooding back to me, and I suddenly had the urge to hop into the ASCN jacuzzi to apply a leg waxing strip to my moustache.

Fortunately for me, my old friend Suzimo then started handing out luxury cigars and sweet-tasting drinks, which promptly triggered the memory of the very reason I was there in the first place:



I was also given a buxom exotic dancer and quickly loaded both into my shuttle. I had been informed that the war was gathering pace, and like an athlete who had missed the beginning of his race by several hours, I was now running extremely late...

However, just as I was about to leave, and as is always the case when I am relaxing in the shamefully decadent systems of ASCN, I was casually invited to a secret location to inspect a 14-billion isk mothership...



I was informed that this gallant vessel was one of the rarest in the game, and that not many of these wonders existed.

The major alliances in EVE only had a few of these each, and some alliances only had one. I raised my hand in a stiff military salute to indicate my approval, and I then finally managed to begin my 33-jump journey northwards.


One jump later, this happened:



I had flown straight into a nasty and demoralising gate-camp.


What a disaster!


Within no time at all, they had mercilessly destroyed my shuttle and I was devastated to read the kill-mail, which stated that both the exotic dancer, and the little bottle of spiced wines that I was transporting to my friend had been violently destroyed.


I was absolutely livid:




I was so annoyed by this that I almost got out of my pod to walk up to him and smack him in the face.

However, I was pleased that I decided against this course of action, because I then realised that I was in space and there was no air....


(to be continued...)

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask the ASCN to 'borrow' the Mothership then go and kick Evil Pookie's ass :-)

10:49 pm  
Blogger Dan Nugent said...

If you're still running the project in a few months and I ever manage to get my Dreadnought like I'm planning on, I will personally head up your flight security team so nasty incidents like this can be avoided.

I don't know exactly what a flight security team will entail, but the chief priority will be preventing Innominate shuttles from getting asploded.

11:36 pm  
Blogger 0.0 Experiment said...

Dan, that is a noble and lofty goal, and I support it fervently.....

12:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How long does it take to build a mothership? I thought none of them exsisted yet because the patch was too new.

12:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your thinking of titans dsi1.

Major Alliances all own motherships, and several have been won in alliance tourneys.

As for Titans, its rumoured Band Of Brothers has one, but they have not comfermed this, and no other alliance yet claims to own one.

1:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

boooo! evil burn eden!

2:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Burn Eden sucks. We'd have chased them out, but when confronted with any fleet of any size, they run away to a safe spot, cloak, and then log off once the agression timer goes away. :( Then come back later, get a few ganks, and run again once confronted. Boo, hiss.

10:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah shame on them for using effective guerilla warfare tactics, and for not providing you with easy kills by engaging overwhelming numbers. For Shame! oh..wait..

10:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spaming cans at gates and loading up all but one low slot with WCS isnt "effective guerilla tactics". Neither is getting on Teamspeak with the opponent and listening to them talk. Or going on their forums and posting private stuff to the EVE-O for the simple reason of starting shit. These arnt effective "Tactics" they are Lame.

11:36 am  
Blogger 0.0 Experiment said...

INNOMINATE NIGHTMARE munches on his pop-corn and watches the heated argument explode...

12:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are effective guerrilla tactics, but they are not sportsmanlike conduct nor are they PVP in any traditional sense. They gank with zero risk to themselves, and log off when any risk arises.

It's akin to using a bot in Counter-Strike to log into a server with an AWAP, spin 360 and headshot anyone in line of sight, then log off before anyone can shoot back at you, then brag about your awesome kill ratio. Congrats, if nobody has a chance to kill you, you're obviously highly skilled...

They're not botting, mind you, nor strictly are they cheating. But they are partaking in PVP at ZERO risk. It is only when the stars align and the gods of Lag bless us that we even manage to engage them before they warp/cloak/log.

For a game that is supposed to be all about non-consentual PvP, it's pretty damn easy to escape unscathed in enemy territory. Just log off and wait til the defenders get bored... >.<

12:25 pm  
Blogger ArchenTheGreat said...

Easy solution: ships should stay in space in claimed systems. Even if you log off or drop connection.

It would be safe for all carebear misison runners in empire but improve security of claimed systems.

12:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And lets not forget the time honored loggoffski tactic ...

In the rare case that someone DOES catch the gankers (locks em and starts to shoot them, which means they are PvP flagged and logging off should not remove their ship for a few minutes), they klick on their second EVE logon-Screen with a pre-loaded alternate character. That immediately removes their first character with his ship under fire from the game, PvP flag and all.

Which means again - ZERO risk while ganking others.

The devs know it and have labelled it an exploit, but do not sanction it. Almost every veteran knows about this trick too, but deliberately avoid using it. But some lamers use it, even brag about it and their kill-ratio. Worst are those who have started to believe themselves that using out-off-game manipulation of internet connection and logon screens has something to do with in game skill.

Have fun

Ian Novarider

12:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that wasent a gallente mother ship dude, that was a caldari mother ship, the Wyvern

2:10 pm  
Blogger ShrineDawg said...

Hey, was that they Wyvern?

Back to the flamewar above...do any of those tactics violate the EULA? Are any of those tactics exploits? If so, report them. If not, suck it up and out-think, out-wit, and out-play them. Put a bounty on their head, track them down, and pod them over and over and over. You can get them back just as much as they get you.

3:13 pm  
Blogger 0.0 Experiment said...

Interesting discussion.

Daniel, I took the liberty of deleting your duplicate posts.

4:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know Smagd... He will be very disappointed that said alochol was not forthcomming. :-P

6:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>>
Are any of those tactics exploits?
>>>

Yes, as confirmed by devs.

>>>
If so, report them.
>>>

We did. Many times. Devs dont do anything against it (despite calling it an exploit). Quite frustrating.

>>>
You can get them back just as much as they get you.
>>>

You mean exploit just like they do ? No thanks. I dont have to be a d!ck myself to battle against d!ckheads. If that costs me a ship and a clone from time to time, so be it.

Newsflash :

In the system where the exploiters like to hang out most often ASCN just unveiled the very first Titan in EVE. A ship that kills whole fleets with a single shot of its doomsday weapon. Will be fun to see the ship of the exploiters being one shot killed by the Titan superlaser (without a chance for logoffski :-) LOL


Have fun

Ian Novarider

2:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I expected to see Pookie's name in this story eventually.

4:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I was so annoyed by this that I almost got out of my pod to walk up to him and smack him in the face."


That IS CLASSIC!!!! Genius PURE Comic Genius!!! Oh, I know everyone has asked this but any chance of your blog being run in a Magazine or something?

2:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home