Friday, October 20, 2006

The Eve Online 0.0 Experiment - Post 075 - Ghost In The Machine (Part 1)

Ghost In The Machine (Part 1)

A strange tingling sensation started running up and down my spine, and a weird and unsettling feeling of uneasiness overcame me. I should have felt happy that I was about to attempt the impossible, to reach up into the infinite expanse of the all, and to dare to stand upon the sands of time.

Perhaps in attempting to reach the unreachable I was about to commit an unknown blasphemy that was set to send immense repercussions and powerful shockwaves reverberating around the fragile EVE universe. I had the distinct feeling that a potent force was holding me back.

Something did not want me to make this journey.


Just as I was about to leave Fountain, some very scary events unfolded:




There was definitely something strange going on in this neighbourhood. The whole situation was something weird and it certainly didn't look good. I wondered who I could call to bust these ghosts.


"I ain't afraid of no ghost. I ain't afraid of no ghost." - I kept repeating to myself.


The Fountain region had experienced its very first haunting, and I sat there in my little shuttle, absolutely terrified of seeing more spooky things running through my head.

Like an invisible man sleeping in my bed, the meaning of these spine-chilling poltergeist activities was hard to grasp, and I was overcome with a ghoulish sense of ethereal otherworldliness.


Fortunately, a brave pilot offered to give me a hand:



After taking USA4 up on his offer, I had felt a great sense of release, and I was immediately overcome with the strong urge to smoke a cigarette. I suddenly felt extremely tired and decided to log out for the rest of the night...

The next day, after a restless night of terrifying dreams involving someone called Carol-Ann, I logged back in to find that I appeared to be at the court of King Arthur, in the middle of Camelot.


Merlin revealed a magical secret to me about office spamming:




It was becoming increasingly obvious to me that the Viking Gods of EVE either:


A) Did not want me to find them.

OR

B) Did want me to find them.



After considering this clever deduction for a lengthy period of time, I realised that I was no closer to the truth than before, so I decided that I would go ahead with the pilgrimage anyway, and would risk facing the wrath of the Nordic deities...


I plotted my course to the nearest system to Jove:




Rather than travelling 55 jumps, I was able to remotely move my medical clone to a place in northern low-sec empire, where I had previously spammed an office, and was pleased to see that my destination was now only a tantalising 12 jumps away, which was nothing for a hardy young adventurer such as myself.



For some reason, the 12 jumps seemed to take an eternity, and thoughts of divine grandeur began to creep into my mind. Could I really become the first to reach the domain of the Gods? What would I say if I finally got there? Would they help me to build a n00b station? Surely I was crazy to try this? Wasn't I just a deluded man in a shuttle?


I quickly began to doubt myself...


Eventually, the eternity ended, and with my pulse frantically racing, and the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end, I entered the mysterious system JZV-F4.

Incredibly, I now found myself standing on the doorstep of Jove space, and I just had to deal with one small detail before unlocking the door to the temple of wisdom that I so desperately sought:


There was no door...




The spooky events did not end there, for my arrival was set to trigger a shocking chain of events that would leave me reeling...


(to be continued...)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to have you in fountain. Come back soon, i can promise you vast changes :evil:

10:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you get around the universe. Hopefully those gate ghouls dont steal your soul!

12:10 am  
Blogger Orontes said...

I ran into a haunted asteroid just a few jumps from there, Inno. It was laggy and my connection dropped, but only on that one 'roid.

spooooky.....

2:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DOnt tell me The Powers That Be have opened the doorways to jove space!
If they havent, then my money is on war. I wouldnt be supprised if TPTB have used you to inadvertantly start a war

3:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just remember that if you move your med clone to a station witout medical services you can't buy a new med clone until you find a station with medical. And if you get podded before you buy a new med clone, you lose all your skills.

4:44 pm  
Blogger 0.0 Experiment said...

Concerned, that is an extremely good point, and is one I had totally overlooked.......

10:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, not all skills. That would be ridiculous.

10:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it would make PvP more interesting if they were to make it if when you get podded, if you don not have an up to date clone you get dropped to your current clones sp. i.e. you have a 30k clone like our friend innom here and you have 40mil sp but cant get to a station before you get podded again, it drops you to 30k sp. I like it...

Oh, and innom, seeing as there are no gates and no way to plot a course into jove space, whatcha gonna do?

2:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps Inom. should check out the good folk at Impro...

http://www.eve-online.com/corporations/c_1000142.asp

4:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home