Monday, October 23, 2006

The Eve Online 0.0 Experiment - Post 076 - Ghost In The Machine (Part 2)

Ghost In The Machine (Part 2)

I looked out of the reinforced windows of my pod, desperately trying to seek the entrance to Jove, and I wondered just how random my adventure had been so far.

I did not know if I was a believer in fate, but it seemed that events had conspired to bring me to the point where I was today. I now found myself to be a man in a shuttle who was considering forming an alliance, building an outpost, and meeting his makers...


Like a man trying out a badly created insta, perhaps I was getting a bit above my station...


Nonetheless, I took the obstacles that were being thrown in my path as signs that I was getting closer, and I announced my arrival at the system closest to Jove, with the customary word "Greetings":



The system JZV-F4 was controlled by a group called "Pure Alliance", which seemed very appropriate to me, because I suspected that only a pilot who is of pure heart, of sound mind, and who has a noble desire to help others, would be granted entrance to the domain of the Gods. I did not know if I was a worthy-enough pilot to fit such a description, so I quietly crossed my fingers behind my back and hoped.


Gavax then opened a private chat with me:




I had shockingly learned the reason why there was no door here. Far in the distant past of EVE, the mighty Jovians had destroyed all the routes to their domain, by obliterating all the jumpgates into the distant mists of history.

This meant that I was being asked nothing short of finding a path that cannot be found, walking a road that cannot be seen, climbing a ladder that was never placed, or reading a paragraph that had no ......


Some time later I logged back in, and like a man who had just purchased an XBOX, I consoled myself...


I left the dead-end system JZV-F4, and wandered into the surrounding systems, desperately seeking some kind of sign:



My demands were met with an ominous wall of silence and I began to wonder if I had wasted my time. Perhaps the Viking Gods of EVE did not want to be reached, and were sitting there in Valhalla, laughing at my feeble attempts to breach their mighty fortress.


Suddenly, a pilot entered Local and said this:




This was absolutely incredible. For the first time since I had started playing, I had met someone who was speaking Viking! Well, I was immediately spurred on by this incredible development, and I now knew that I must be very close to the holy citadel...

I decided that this must be a test of faith, so I invited the mystery Viking to join a gang with me, and pondered my next move. Eventually, we concluded that making a sacrifice could be the key, and I valiantly decided to offer the only worldly possession that I had with me:



I excitedly set the self-destruct on my shuttle, and all I needed to do now was to wait 120 seconds until I left my body and ascended to Valhalla. However, 45 seconds later, and for some inexplicable reason, there appeared to be a very strange equipment malfunction in my pod, and Sanodi was spookily unable to hear me:



Not only had he destroyed my shuttle before the self-destruct sequence was completed, but he had then also brutally podded me back to empire. For the next ten minutes or so he continued asking me if I was there, and I eventually got a random person in Local to open a channel with him to tell him to unblock me.

Yet again, it would appear that the higher powers were trying their damndest to dissuade me from reaching them. However, a series of shivers ran up and down my spine, as I realised that this fact in itself must be a sign of their very existence...


(to be continued...)

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeking gods and finding morons is sad.
That jerk is now on my earthly kill-list.
If there is a chance, i shall block him too, and pod him back to wherever his filthy clone is at.

1:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On Jove border you will encounter all kind of morons

1:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EVE Mail is thy friend if chat is not working.

Have fun

Ian

PS:
I think he was faking it ;-) And laughing from here to Norway.

1:43 pm  
Blogger 0.0 Experiment said...

Maybe it was accidental?

I have accidentally blocked people before when right clicking on them and selecting "Add to addressbook", which is the option above it.

Frivolous also accidentally blocked me. Apparently it is quite a common thing to do.

1:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Show Info" is also dangerously close to "Start Conversation", i've had some weird convos before, due to that.

It is weird though. I had idea PURE. and those who roam around their space were a bit less moronic...

Maybe it was a glitch in the Eve-matrix... or maybe he was just space litter. :)

3:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He seemed like a nice enough fellar...

4:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have had the bad experiences with the command menu, and have blocked, messaged, etc. many pilots accidentally.

Hopefully, you can find a way to reach the Jovian gods as many of us have attempted. I have tried prayer, but never a sacrifice! I think you may be on to something! Perhaps it would be wise to take a sacrificial lamb with you rather than offering yourself up!

4:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can not help but thing how systems where discovered well before the mighty jump gate.

Wouldn't you think back before jump gates people just grabed the fastest ship they had and traveled in a streaght line to the next closest Sun. If you can ditermin a star from the Jovian space could you night spend days-years flying stright at it until you came to the system ;).

Anyone tried ;)

6:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New event ;).

Calling the fastest ships in all of eve. First one to a Jovien system wins billion isk. Key note fit your ship to open a Cyonsural field ;)

6:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a lame excuse to collect another pod. If he had any balls he'd have just done it and said so - not faking a block / lag.

7:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Capital Ship Jump Drive FTW !

Have fun

Ian

8:46 pm  
Blogger 0.0 Experiment said...

I think somebody previously said that heading in a straight line only ends up putting you back on the other side of the system you started in.

Imagine being an ant on the inside of a balloon. You would walk in a straight line, only to find that you end up back where you started...

A puzzling enigma...

9:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assuming Jovian systems are around 6 light years away from the nearest reachable system, you average 1 AU/s with your warp drive (due to lots of starting/stopping) and that you could warp in any direction, you could reach the Jove system in approximately 5 days.

If you are instead stuck with MWD, it would take approximately 500,000 years in the fastest of ships.

9:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could try talkign to Valar or TomB, seeing as they are actaully Jovians, they may be able to help you in your quest.

11:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

“No,” Grious said, handing Baer a small disk. “The war against the Order demands all of our efforts. And to restrict their manipulation of power within the races, we are going to withdraw from the Geminate and Vale of the Silent regions. Then we will destroy the stargates bridging faction space with our own.”

12:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo man... I had a friend who once anoyed a GM and they sent him to a system in Jovian space... you might give that a try.

-Nate

12:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you enter into warp without having a destination infront of you?

Also, is there a way to remotely open a jump field?

Lastly, I doubt the GM's would put you in Jove space as punishment for bothering them. They'd probably put you in Jita, move your clone there, cancel your corporate offices, destroy your jump clones, and then revoke your jump gate access. That sounds like what the fickle Gods of EVE would do to someone who vowed never to enter Secure space again.

But if you need help making an offering send Faatina Lebass an evemial, and we'll see what we can help offer. (Sanodi's corpse would probably be a good start)

Best of luck to you.

2:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New player, and stumbled onto this after a couple days of playing. Great work, Innominate.

Any shares left in Innominate Neutrality? Love to purchase one if there are.

- Angelus Damelon

12:15 pm  
Blogger 0.0 Experiment said...

Hi Angelus, there are still shares remaining, although if you are very n00by then I would advise waiting until you have built your funds up more until buying one.

A million isk is a lot for a n00b and can be put to better use in the short term, unless you're already a multi-millionaire :)

They will still be available if you prefer to wait a little while.

---------------------------

Nate, I think annoying a GM is an excellent idea...

However, for now, I will attempt to violently resist the urge to insult them...

2:37 pm  
Blogger 0.0 Experiment said...

I have just learned that Sanodi received hate-mail for podding me...

LOL.

If it was anyone here then don't do it again!

(I am trying not to laugh at this harrowing revelation...)

3:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is very easy to accidentally block someone. It happens like this - if you are actively typing something in one of chat channels, and someone who is not yet in your address book sends you a convo or gang invitation at that very moment when you are about to hit Enter key, this act of completing whatever thought you were at will refuse the invitation AND block the inviting person. If you are not a professional typist who never looks at the keyboard but keeps his eyes at the screen at all times, you can easily miss the fact that it happened altogether.

So if you are having strange difficulties getting gang invites etc, it is always wise to check your Blocked tab in People&Places, your incumbent gang leader or correspondent might be in it.

1:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, love your writing style my friend...

Someone once made it to Jovian space as there used to be stations there and 1 of them had a medical facility, he just set his clone to wake up there when activated and so he did. He found Jove to be a dismal and empty place, noone for miles and miles.....

A bit like Bognor Regis!!

2:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is more ppl have been in Jove space. Yes they did trough GM's ( i wont tell how). The problem is that if you even get there you will be desapointed becuase this space is actualy inactive ( same as drone regions was before). Yes you see stations and other stuff on map information but you cant dock there :) there is no ores and there is no rats. Actualy there is nothing what could asume you. Once Devs deside to bring jove closer to community ( and thats about time after bloody 5 years) then probebly it will be most contested space by many corp/alainces and most likely simple richeable trough the gates.

However nice story sadly enogh it cant have happy ending because you cant find something what not exist at least not in online multieplayer game.

10:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home