Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Eve Online 0.0 Experiment - Post 034 - Elementary, My Dear Watson

Elementary, My Dear Watson

I spent the evening in a quandary, mulling over my shocking dilemma.

Eventually, after much soul searching and forceful self-probing I concluded that I would try to form a stunning relationship with the voluptuous and stinking rich jezebel "Missy".



Perhaps once I had finally gotten my hands on her substantial assets, I would forvermore be straighter than the path that a 1-Dimensional being takes when unicycling to work.


The breadth and depth of the above comment may be difficult to appreciate, depending on your perspective on things...


Some time later, I entered into a conversation with several pilots in Local and the subject matter eventually moved on to where I would head to next, in my thrilling journey of exploration.

Several ideas were bounded about by the residents, most of which sounded very agreeable. Some people suggested I head to Stain, some said to Omist and others suggested a visit to the Band of Brothers.


However, the following suggestion was much more intriguing:




It would seem that there was a very arcane and mystical object, buried deep within the structure of EVE, that was a secret portal to somewhere occult and shrouded.

Upon further questioning, I discovered that this gate had been sought after by many an adventurer, but had never been reached. My eyes glimmered with excitement as I realised that this was perhaps the ultimate adventure.

Amazingly, it would seem that certain pilots had even gone to the staggering lengths of building strange and mysterious symbols of worship at this mystery location:



I immediately consulted my map and began to plot a course to this holy shrine of secrecy, only to discover that the only way there was to go via a 0.5 security system!

A journey of many jumps, all of which were through 0.0 - 0.4 space, apart from just one of them, right in the middle, which was 0.5, with no way around! I cursed the infernal designers of the map and began to wonder if I was being toyed with by the ancient and insightful Gods of EVE.

A scene from the classic film "Jason and the argonauts" popped into my mind as I wondered if the developers were sitting there in their opulent hall on the Mount Olympus of Iceland, drinking lavish amphorae of wine and moving small marble mouldings of the players across a large and ancient chessboard, whilst musing over their fates...

I wondered if there was a way to solve this heavy dilemma. Perhaps I could procure the services of a great detective, who would heroically unravel the mystery of the impossible journey for me. I did not know if any such detectives existed in EVE, although I had encountered an alt spy earlier in my adventure so anything was possible.

Besides, if there were any detectives, and if they really were that good, they wouldn't need me to contact them at all. They would already have found out I required their services and would just pop up a chat box on my screen, which is, incidentally, exactly what happened:



Sherlock appeared not to know about my proposed journey to the EVE-Gate but decided instead to inform me that I could dock at a station in the "outer ring" region and could even buy mining barge "Blueprint Originals" there.

Well naturally I was overjoyed at this fine piece of investigating as I had heard that blueprint originals were valuable items to possess. I was just about to congratulate Sherlock on this discovery when I happened to glance at my map and I saw just how close this "nearby station" was:



The great detective was proposing that I travel a mere 102 jumps...


(to be continued...)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you should go! and visit us up there!

Have to go and see band of brothers on the way though!

10:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask a local friendly corp or alliance to carrier jump you the 0.5 system.

11:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get a carrier jump across the 0.5 System.

EVE gate system is nice, but dont get too excited ... its like the Alderaan system in another universe. Full of lots of memorabilia left behind by visitors .... but nothing really worthy to see unless you like floating rocks and debris.

And just like in the Shards of Alderaan there are some sharks lurking amidst the rocks too, that try to bite off some of your tender bits.

And Sherlock was not into crack ... more into weed :-) Or POTentially other substances ... if you thought that in his powderbox there is white powder to identify fingerprints .. THINK AGAIN.

Elementary, neh ?

Have fun

Ian

11:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First I want to say GREAT blog!!! I love it! It always leaves me wanting more. It has inspired me to go on a few little tours of Eve myself. One of the places, which may be of interest to you, is the Eve gate. While it was an interesting journey the final destination was nothing too special. It was a white glowing sphrere with clouds coming out from it. Several people secured cans with sayings like "Mike D was here." One person even left a noob ship.

9:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im sure the ASCN alliance might have someone willing to jump you into the new eden system. Make sure you take a secure container and leave your mark.

3:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superb blog INNOMINATE .

Makes me loves this game even more. I think CCP must hire you, you are doing more for the game than their marketing dept.

7:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to dash any hopes here, but you will not be able to personally dock on a carrier to be jumped around the system. Technically, you could clone into a mothership (that had made the jump, but I feel this may be out of the purvue of what you wish to accomplish).

Sherlock apparently didn't notice the part where you made your trip south. If you were still up north, that "nearby station" may have actually been nearby.

New Eden is a great system though, and I sincerely hope that one day you are able to see it.

2:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You!

This blog has gotten me to play EvE again (though I kind of forgot that a Merlin cannot single-handedly take out a 4/10 DED and that I should probably buy insurance, but w/e) and I love your writing style. I love your writing style and I am learning a lot about the EvE Universe from it. I do have one suggestion though:

Post more often!

I cannot wait upwards of two days for a new installment. What is this, Penny-Arcade? ;)

Great Job!

5:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okaaaay... That detective clearly had something funny in his pipe. That made me laugh out loud. :)

12:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home