Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Eve Online 0.0 Experiment - Post 017 - Cryogenics

Cryogenics

I slowly reclined in the leather executive chair in my shuttle and began to wonder over the marvels (and marvel over the wonders) that I had seen so far. My time in the North had been very enjoyable and I had met an intriguing mixture of characters along the way. I sipped on my cool drink and began to study the map to select my new destination.

I had heard that two blisteringly exciting southern areas of the EVE universe were called "Curse" and "Stain". I wasn't quite sure which of these words intimidated me more so I decided there and then, that I would decide where and when, when i had reached where I would reach, when I had reached it then....

What I am trying to say, in my discombobulating linguistic trickery, is that I had absolutely no idea where I was going, or how I was going to get there. I did the sensible thing and decided that I would plot a course to a 0.1-0.4 station in empire space.

This would mean that I would be much closer to "the south" and could then, after having moved my clone, proceed to plot another course around the high-security areas, in order to reach my glittering destination.

I undocked and set a 20-jump course to the system Taisy, which has a security rating of 0.3. According to the map, which I now knew could be sorted by "medical", there was a system adjacent to Taisy (also 0.3) which would allow me to move my clone there. Now all I needed to do was to get there...

The beginning of my thrilling new journey went very smoothly and I was not attacked by a single person. Perhaps the locals had finally accepted that I was a man of perseverance and determination and would not be stopped by something as trivial as being brutally shot dead.

The journey went so smoothly, in fact, that after 8 jumps I even decided to go slightly off course to collect a frozen corpse that was dangling in space behind one of the gates.



I paused for a moment to speculate on how this unfortunate traveller had met their nasty end. I would never know. I re-focused my mind and pressed on..

As I continued in my enjoyable journey I began to see more and more gruesome corpses, dangling suspiciously by the gates, with an ever-increasing regularity. After I had broken the taboo and collected the first one, the next 3 were easy..



I jumped into the final 0.0 system, adjacent to Taisy, and was surprised to see that there were 16 people in Local.

Naturally, I arrived at the logical conclusion that this was a party of tree-hugging pacifist miners who were peacefully collecting Hedbergite samples in one of the asteroid belts. I decided that I would resolutely believe that there were not 16 evil and heartless people waiting at the gate I was now heading to and that my bitter death was absolutely not imminent...

I came out of warp at the gate, a mere 15km from paradise, and this was what I saw:



As I began to wonder why a group of peaceful miners would be camping the gate to Taisy, surrounded by combat drones and an assortment of frozen corpses, I noticed that my shield was being depleted and that I was somehow in the process of dying. I cursed the manufacturer of the clearly malfunctioning mining laser that was now reducing my armour and structure to obliterated metallic shreds.

A few seconds later I had been podded and was back where I started, 20 jumps up in the North. I opened my own killmail and chuckled as I read that two of the dead bodies in my cargo had been destroyed in the "accident".

However, my laughter soon turned to depression and a series of shivers ran up and down my spine as I realised that, in a poetic twist of fate, my own frozen corpse had spookily joined the other two...


(to be continued....)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home